Senior Coordinator SDGs and Sustainable Development
Start Date: 1 March 2017, 40 hrs p/w. (€ 35,000.- / € 40,000.- gross p/year on full time basis)
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contract: 1 year initially – extension by mutual consent
Position summary and job purpose
The Senior Coordinator SDGs and Sustainable Development will contribute to GRI’s sustainable development strategy, with a special focus on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition (s)he will contribute to the implementation of GRI’s Sustainable Development Program activities.
The post holder will be based at GRI’s office in Amsterdam and will work within the Policy Team. (S)he will report to the Deputy Director – Policy and Global Affairs. (S)he will work closely with the Director Institutional Funding & Program Partnerships on the development and implementation of programs.
The post holder will support the challenging endeavours of the implementation of the GRI Sustainable Development Strategy, in line with GRI organizational goals. S(he)will ensure a strong and proactive roll out of programs and activities.
(S)He will be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Foster Policy dialogue on agenda 2030 and the SDGs
2. Advocacy for the private sector engagement in agenda 2030 and the SDGs
3. Collaborate with key institutional partners of GRI in the SDGs implementation as well as follow up and review processes (e.g. UN Global Compact, UN Statistics Division, UNEP, UNCTAD UN DESA, as well as with key business and civil society organizations active on SDGs.
4. Implement programs and activities around the SDGs, including the project management of the Policy Team
5. Other tasks arising from the Policy Team, such as
• Writing policy and project proposals
• Drafting high level correspondence
• Preparing briefings and presentations, organize visits of GRI senior staff to key organizations/actors
• Identifying new opportunities for GRI, including fundraising opportunities
• Participating on behalf of GRI in research projects and publications, providing knowledge and project management support
6. Other duties as requested
Key competencies / Requirements
• Expertise in sustainable development policy and practice
• Practical experience with development cooperation, (inter) governmental relations and /or with international organizations
• Analytical and policy skills, preferably in the field of either sustainability or CSR
• Diplomatic and public relations skills
• Experience in supporting relationship management with high level people/groups
• Effective project management skills
• Good understanding of development cooperation as well as excellent writing skills to formulate fundraising proposals, Logical Framework and Theory of Change.
• Pro-active and able to be results- and relationship-oriented at the same time
• Excellent writing skills, native-level English language skills required (written and verbal) including writing of policy text, project proposals and reports
• Fluent English and mastery of another language beyond the native language (preferably one of UN languages)
• Excellent inter-personal skills
• Familiarity with sustainability reporting
• Understanding of multi-stakeholder dynamics
• Able to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
• Affinity with the mission and vision of GRI would be an advantage
Other relevant information
GRI has a sustainable development strategy, with four Strategic Objectives for developing countries:
GRI supports the view that the SDGs should be a universal set of goals that not only address issues under the responsibility of governments, but also those that fall under the responsibility of business and civil society. In this context, GRI is playing a key role in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and collaborates with other important organizations e.g. the UN Global Compact, the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.to engage businesses in the SDGs.
Building on the Rio+20 conference acknowledgement of the importance of sustainability reporting by governments and business in Paragraph 47 of the Outcome Document “The Future We Want”, GRI has as its aim to help ensure that the growing practice of sustainability reporting will be connected to the measurement of corporate impacts in relation to the SDGs.
GRI has the ECOSOC Status which offers GRI a formal consultative status with the UN.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, eligible to live and work in the Netherlands, are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in English to email@example.com. The deadline to submit an application is 12.00 noon (CET), Monday, 20 February 2017. GRI appreciates all expressions of interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
GRI, Attn. Human Resources
Visitors’ address: Barbara Strozzilaan 336, 1083 HN, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)20 531 00 00 www.globalreporting.org
GRI is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others.
With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
Our Vision: A future where sustainability is integral to every organization’s decision-making process.
Our Mission: To empower decision makers everywhere through our sustainability standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.