Chief Communications Officer
Start Date: A.S.A.P., 40 hrs p/w.
Benefit package: Commensurate with experience and non-profit scale
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contract: Indefinite period
Place in the organization: Reports to the Chief Executive and is a member of the Executive Team.
Position summary and job purpose
The Chief Communications Officer (CCO) will develop and lead GRI’s marketing and communications strategy and manages a team of six people.
GRI is the global leader for sustainability reporting standards. Most large companies use GRI’s standards to communicate their sustainability results, manage their performance and be transparent to investors and stakeholders. Since 1997, GRI has been the thought leader in sustainability disclosure through an inclusive process involving reporting companies, data consumers, regulators, capital markets, civil society, accountancies, labor organizations, academics and consulting professionals.
Sustainability reporting based on GRI guidelines and standards is standard practice for most large companies. GRI aims to extend sustainability reporting to other segments of the global economy while simultaneously evolving the practice to be more efficient and effective. The Chief Communications Officer has a critical role in positioning GRI to build on its global leadership role and deliver its vision to utilize transparency to solve some of the world’s toughest sustainability challenges.
The position offers a unique opportunity for a seasoned marketing and communications professional with knowledge, experience and passion for sustainability to make demonstrable progress on the world stage.
Develop and implement comprehensive marketing and communications strategy to support the direction established by the chief executive, including:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive outbound communications strategy including paid media, earned media, GRI events, 3rd party events, thought leadership and social media to underscore GRI’s global leadership
- Develop and implement and internal communications strategy to inspire, motivate and engage GRI employees
- Develop and implement a robust analytical dashboard to track and map worldwide impressions, share of voice and perceptions regarding sustainability reporting and GRI
- Support Chief Executive and Management Team in developing outbound communications
- Identify and assess competitor’s market presence, track their share of voice and refine to position GRI accordingly
- Be a spokesperson and advocate for GRI
- The position is based in Amsterdam and requires some international travel
Managerial and Operational
- Manage the Marketing & Communications Department (currently 6 staff)
- Be an active member of the GRI Management Team
- Advise the Chief Executive
- Resource and performance management: planning, fundraising, budgeting, staff performance, and reporting
- Provide editorial oversight and quality control: ensure the maintenance of GRI’s branding, editorial direction and house style in the formatting and content of all GRI publications and internal communications
Key competencies / Requirements
- Strong passion, knowledge and experience in sustainability and the mission of GRI
- Strategic competencies:
- Strong understanding of sustainability issues and their application in business
- Proven competence in the development and implementation of strategies to market public interest missions
- Brand development and management
- Development and execution of communication plans
- Internal communications
- Excellent communicator:
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work across cultures and sectors (business, civil society, government, etc.)
- An ability to persuade, motivate and sell
- Proven excellence in written, graphic, and verbal communications
- Fluent written and spoken English (mother tongue level); one or more other world languages would be an advantage
- Effective communications leader and team manager with a proven ability in:
- Strategic planning
- Leading, managing and developing a team
- Working with the press to obtain earned media
- Developing and implementing communications plans
- Social media strategies
- Brand management
- Tracking and utilizing analytics
- Executive communications
- Internal communications and organizational culture dynamics
- Managing competing priorities, crises and multiple projects
- Able to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, eligible to live and work in the Netherlands, are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit an application is 12.00 noon (CET), Monday 5 March 2018. GRI appreciates all expressions of interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
GRI, Attn. Human Resources
Visitors’ address: Barbara Strozzilaan 336, 1083 HN, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)20 531 00 00 www.globalreporting.org
GRI is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others.
With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
Our Vision: A thriving global community that lifts humanity and enhances the resources on which all life depends.
Our Mission: To empower decisions that create social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.