Carrots & Sticks Research Project
Consulting engagement: Between 16-32 hrs p/w for 3-4 months
Start date: June, 2019
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
GRI is looking to recruit a research assistant interested in public policy targeting sustainability reporting for the GRI Public Policy & External Affairs Team. The main objective is to provide research support related to GRI’s donor-funded work. The tasks involved in the engagement are twofold:
1. To assist in qualitative research on policy developments, and
2. To assist in revising data entries in the GRI policy database, both of which will feed into the 5th Edition of the Carrots & Stick publication on the developments of the sustainability reporting policy landscape.
The position is available for 3-4 months on a part-time basis.
Tasks include *)
• Assist in updating the existing GRI policy database
o Validate data entries ranging from 2015 to present
o Assist in scoping out not yet recorded sustainability reporting and ESG reporting policies
o Assist in restructuring the database according to project targets
• Assist in qualitative research aimed at assessing recent developments in the sustainability reporting and ESG reporting policy landscape by
o Conducting semi-structured interviews with policy makers and
o Assisting in transcription and analysis of qualitative data
• Identify key trends based on the revised database inputs and the collected qualitative data
• Utilize text analysis software for the analysis of interview transcripts such as ATLAS.ti, NVivo
• Utilize data visualization software such as Power BI, SiSense
*) The listed tasks are subject to change depending on the finalized research design agreed upon by project partners, the Consultant and GRI.
• Advanced level fluency in written and spoken English
• Qualitative research experience (through either course/field work)
• Experience in working with databases
• High-level of critical and analytical thinking
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, especially Excel
• Good working knowledge of relevant analytical software (ATLAS.ti, NVivo, Power BI, SiSense)
• Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
• Good team player with a “can do” attitude
• Results-focused ability to handle multiple tasks and work on precise timelines
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested people, eligible to work as an independent consultant in the Netherlands, registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce, are asked to submit a detailed CV and a short cover letter that describes how this placement may advance their future intentions and goals in the sustainability field and what their qualifications are for the position. Applications should be submitted in English by Friday, 17th May 2019 by 12.00 noon CET at the latest to the HR Department on email@example.com. Employment prospects This engagement is not linked to full time employment opportunities at GRI and the program should be valued by its own merits. Selected applicant should not expect to be offered an employment contract after ending their project; nevertheless, they are very welcome to apply for job openings at GRI.
GRI is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others. With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world. Our Vision: A thriving global community that lifts humanity and enhances the resources on which all life depends. Our Mission: To empower decisions that create social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.