Head of GRI Regional Hub China
Start Date: As soon as possible, preferably no later than 1 April 2019
Location: Hong Kong
Contract: One year initially – extension by mutual consent
Position summary and job purpose
In 2009 GRI established a Regional Hub for the Greater China Region, that has up to now been located in Beijing. Over the past years we have seen the interest in non-financial reporting in the Greater China Region and South-East Asia growing steadily. Throughout the region there is an increasing demand from governments, stock exchanges and other stakeholders for non-financial reporting by companies. In an effort to optimize our support for companies and other stakeholders in this large market, GRI has decided to relocate its Chinese office from Beijing to Hong Kong.
The Regional Hub Greater China (RHC) promotes GRI’s mission disseminating and promoting better knowledge of the GRI Standards and sustainability reporting among companies of all sizes and organizations in the region. The regional hub facilitates and promotes the active engagement of organizations in the further development of sustainability reporting globally and in the region.
The post holder plays a role in, among others, strategizing ongoing and future activities of GRI in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, fundraising efforts and has a key role in keeping the day-to-day business of RHC. The post holder is responsible for successful initiation and completion of the RHC projects in China and ensures effective support of major projects in the region. The post holder represents GRI in public outreach in the Greater China Region, including public speaking.
The post holder actively implements goals and objective of the RHC, including defined strategies, action plans and goals for local engagement. In addition, the post holder is responsible for facilitating effective and sound management and administration of the GRI Community, and the relationship with other business/operational partners.
The post holder will report to the Chief Regional Implementation Officer at the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Promoting mainstreaming of sustainability reporting in the three priority regions – driving the practice, creating awareness, disseminating the GRI Standards, and working with relevant parties locally
• Contributing to building a dynamic network of sustainability reporting practitioners and connecting local practitioners to share best practices and drive quality of reporting
• Working towards ensuring that the Greater China Region has a strong voice in GRI Standards developments and help ensure that latest developments are communicated and understood in the region
• Ensuring successful implementation of local projects with local partners
• Working on facilitating harmonization between governmental and non-governmental CSR initiatives, standards, questionnaires and GRI-based sustainability reporting
• Leading project fundraising activities
• Preparing and developing tasks/projects/concepts and related budgets including drafting project proposals/reports
• Responsible for organizing of events, including Annual Network Meetings in all three priority regions, and other events in the regions, including but not limited to securing sponsorships, preparation of (meeting) materials and coordination of logistics
• Independently managing on-going projects to ensure satisfactory delivery of GRI services as provided in related project contracts
• Providing support to relevant (external) contacts to ensure effective workflow
• Conducting independent research on specific topics for tasks/projects/concepts or to support other (internal) needs
• Responsible for ongoing recruitment of GRI Community members in the regions and serving as contact person for members, in close collaboration with the Corporate & Stakeholder Engagement team in Amsterdam
• Promoting and providing Report Services to reporters in the Greater China Region
• Other duties as required
Key competencies / Requirements
• A minimum of 8 years of experience in sustainability (CSR) strategies and global and regional practice in corporate reporting.
• A master’s degree in international relations, international development, business administration, environmental – or social science, economics or related field would be an advantage.
• Awareness and knowledge of global CSR and sustainability-related initiatives and standards and possess a network of established relationships in the region.
• A proven track record in building, maintaining and growing a network.
• Established track record related to complex project- and event management
• A good communicator, highly persuasive and an ability to inspire
• Excellent inter-personal skills, and an ability to represent GRI at all levels and in different cultural settings
• Experienced presenter, and moderator/ facilitator
• Proven ability to implement project, fundraise and maintain effective relationship with governmental and other funders
• Strong people management skills
• Willingness to undertake travel
• Fluency in English and both Traditional and Simplified Chinese, speaking and writing
• Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
• Affinity with the mission and vision of GRI
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, eligible to live and work in Hong Kong and work in Mainland China and Taiwan, (i.e. already in possession of relevant paperwork) are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in English to email@example.com. The deadline to submit an application is 12.00 noon (CET), 18 February 2019. GRI appreciates all expressions of interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
GRI, Attn. Human Resources
Visitors’ address: Barbara Strozzilaan 336, 1083 HN, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)20 531 00 00 www.globalreporting.org
GRI is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others.
With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
Our Vision: A thriving global community that lifts humanity and enhances the resources on which all life depends.
Our Mission: To empower decisions that create social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.