MADE-BY is an award-winning not-for-profit organisation headquartered at Fashion for Good in Amsterdam. Through targeted consultancy, grant funded programmes and corporate partnerships, we strive to ‘make sustainable fashion common practice’.
The Board of MADE-BY is looking for its next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide vision and leadership as we transition into the organisation the fashion industry needs us to become.
Are you looking for an exciting leadership challenge? Our aspirational new strategy “Closing the Circle” builds on MADE-BY’s wealth of experience working with over 100 brands and retailers on all aspects of sustainability. It recognises three pressing challenges for the industry to adopt pathways to circularity, and the role that MADE-BY chooses to play in making sustainable fashion common practice.
Have you got what it takes to maintain the existing business portfolio whilst also building something completely new? We are looking for an exceptional leader to guide and empower our team to deliver first class consultancy assignments and maintain a pipeline of opportunities. You will also need to have the vision as well as strategic planning, networking, partnering and business development skills to lead the creation of new programmes and new business models.
A track record of delivering organisational change as well as personal credibility in the sustainability space (and ideally the fashion industry) completes your picture.
Location: Ideally Amsterdam (alternative European locations may be considered for exceptional candidates)
Contract: Permanent contract with substantial travel
Reports to: The Chair of the Board of Stichting MADE-BY Label (Dutch foundation)
Salary: Competitive (depending on experience)
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide competent leadership for the organisation, ensuring that MADE-BY’s fiscal health and operational strategies are implemented effectively.
- Collaborate with the Board, staff and partners to create a funding portfolio that ensures the growth and long-term financial sustainability of MADE-BY, including developing new programmes, new business models and new international markets.
- Develop and implement plans aligned with MADE-BY’s mission and strategy.
- Position MADE-BY as a respected voice and thought leader in sustainable fashion.
- Embody an authentic leadership style that empowers staff and stakeholders to fully engage with the MADE-BY brand, its mission, objectives, vision and values.
- Build a high performing team, capable of delivering against aspirational goals.
- Ensure that MADE-BY maintains a culture that motivates, supports and develops the women and men who work for us.
Finance and Risk Management
- Ensure the overall financial health of MADE-BY.
- Ensure that the organisation fulfils its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities.
- Lead the development and implementation of new business and income generation plans.
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place to assure the Board of Directors that key organisational risks are identified and managed.
- Promote the brand and reputation of MADE-BY as a thought leader.
- Ensure MADE-BY is “at the table” of the most relevant industry forums and events as a respected voice and participant committed to making sustainable apparel common practice.
- Foster positive and collaborative partnerships with private, statutory, voluntary and academic organizations where appropriate.
- Work effectively with the Board of Stichting MADE-BY Label, to ensure it receives appropriate advice and reliable information for fulfilling its governance responsibilities.
- Ensure effective and timely implementation of Board decisions.
- Act as a Director and/or Company Secretary for MADE-BY legal entities as required.
- Motivational leadership – Resourceful and innovative leader who motivates others to do their best work as part of a strong team.
- Business development – Both commercial and foundation – Excellent client development, relationship management and an ability to close deals.
- Partnership builder – Ability to facilitate collaboration and create strong, meaningful partnerships
- Strong commercial acumen – Strong financial awareness, as well as confident and knowledgeable in setting budgets and managing costs and margins.
- Energy & drive – An ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and juggle conflicting priorities.
- Fluent in English – Written and spoken.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Leadership – A minimum of ten years’ experience in leadership, strategic management and organisational development / change, preferably within an organisation of comparable size.
- Achieving results – Track record of delivering business growth according to agreed objectives. Proven experience in financial planning, budget development and setting/monitoring team objectives.
- Relevant industry experience – Solid senior level experience in either the fashion or sustainability industry, preferably both.
- Product, market, partnership and client development – Experience in developing new products/markets and evaluating performance. Evidence of success in securing funding and collaborative partnerships in order to enter new markets, and win new projects and clients.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Consultancy experience – experience in delivering effective pieces of consultancy advice.
- Fluency in any additional languages particularly Dutch or German but not essential.
- Must have a right to work in the UK or the Netherlands
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply please send your CV (No more than 2 pages) and a cover letter describing why you are the right person for this role to email@example.com by close of business on 15 March 2018.
Candidate applications will be reviewed on receipt. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Founded in 2004 with a multi–stakeholder board, MADE-BY is an award-winning not-for-profit organisation with a mission to ‘make sustainable fashion common practice’. Through targeted consultancy, partnerships and stakeholder engagement we work with well over 100 brands and retailers including Acne, Eileen Fisher, H&M, Hugo Boss, Kering Group, LVMH Group, Ted Baker, Tommy Hilfiger and G-Star.
We have over a decade of experience focusing on social and environmental issues throughout the entire apparel value chain, engaging with companies to encourage sustainability transformation. Our expertise includes strategy development, implementation support, stakeholder engagement, capacity building within the supply chain and engagement in multi-stakeholder projects with governments and the European Commission. Our transparent and verified progress tracking tool, MODE Tracker, supports fashion brands and retailers in improving their sustainability performance through measuring and communicating year-on-year progress on a range of key impact areas.