Open Position: Executive Director
Reports To: SAAS Board Of Directors
Location: United States – New York, NY
Social Accountability Accreditation Services (SAAS) is an independent agency that accredits and monitors third party social auditors and certifiers that verify compliance with social standards, such as Social Accountability International’s (SAI) SA8000 standard. Originally a division within SAI, SAAS was established formally in 2007 as an independent not-for-profit organization with its own staff, budget and Board of Directors. SAAS offers over a decade of global accreditation experience within the social sector.
SAAS currently accredits an international network of 23 certification bodies that collectively and currently certify nearly 4,000 factories employing over 2 million people worldwide to the SA8000 standard. SAAS also provides technical assistance and verification oversight to business networks, such as the Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI), for implementation of their standards. For further information, please visit
The Executive Director (ED) is the senior administrative officer of SAAS. The ED serves as the lead staff representative to the SAAS Board of Directors, the Accreditation Review Panel, and other Advisory Committees. The ED is the top management position at SAAS and has overall authority and executive decision-making responsibility for the organization.
- Annual Budget: $1.1 million
- Staff: 3 full-time, in-house, 12 Accreditation Auditors and Client Managers who work on behalf of SAAS under contract in the field.
- Direct reports: Senior Manager, Social Certification Program Coordinator, Program Manager-BSCI Standards, Technical Director, and part-time Finance Director.
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Offices: Headquartered in New York City
The ED should be an experienced manager knowledgeable about social auditing and accreditation, with a successful track record. S/he will be responsible for direct reporting, establishing clear goals for the staff, monitoring staff, and ensuring quality of service for existing clients while also growing the business.
- Ensure the effectiveness of the certification programs that are under SAAS’ purview.
- Consistently and reliably manage and ensure the continued accreditation services of the organization.
- Oversee the systems, policies and procedures for the implementation of SAAS accreditation protocols by current and applicant accredited certification bodies including initial and reaccreditation audits, worldwide surveillance of audit and client activities, and compliance by those bodies.
- Oversee the management and implementation of the complaints systems to ensure that outstanding complaints are addressed competently and in a timely manner with clear timely communications to complainants and the related standard owner.
- Manage and administer the identification of audit goals and schedules.
- Ensure compliance with required ISO and SAAS standards and procedures.
- Oversee the recruitment, training and management of auditors and contractors.
Business Management and Strategic Vision
- Manage and oversee SAAS staff, contractors, and auditors.
- Manage the budget and contracts of the agency.
- Lead and support the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer to: develop the annual budget; oversee the financial status of SAAS including developing long- and short-range financial plans; implement procedures to assure timely receipt of receivables; and set financial priorities to ensure SAAS is operating in a manner that supports the needs of its programs and staff.
- Work with the Board of Directors and Committees to develop and implement strategic and business plans, annual goals, work plan and metrics.
Client Relations and Management
- Identify, build relationships and communicate with clients.
- Work with clients on innovation and pilots to improve processes and procedures.
- Establish, manage and implement business growth and development for SAAS.
General Management and Administration
- Convene, and prepare reports to, the SAAS Board of Directors.
- Report to the public on accreditation activities and outcomes.
- Act as SAAS’s primary representative at public events, conferences and in engagement with stakeholders.
Some international and national travel required.
- A. or B.S.; advanced degree in a relevant discipline preferred (e.g. MBA, International Relations, Development Economics).
- ISO 9000 and/or ISO 14000 auditor training.
- SA8000 or other ISEAL member organization training.
- A minimum of 10 years in senior-level business management and administration, with substantial accreditation (or certification) services preferred, particularly in the social and/or environmental sector.
- Experience in business development, client services, resource development and/or fundraising.
- Advanced training and experience in quality, social, and/or environmental auditing.
- Commitment to improving work conditions through social and environmental standards/systems.
- International experience including multi-cultural sensitivities.
Please send a resume and a cover letter describing yourself, your interest in this specific position, and your relevant experience to
SAAS-Recruits@saasaccreditation.org and reference “SAAS Executive Director” or fax to 212-684-1515. No phone calls, please. No applications will be considered without a relevant cover letter. Cover letter shall include salary expectations for consideration.
SAAS is an equal opportunity employer.